Monday, May 21, 2018

Shelfie - Your Guide to the Perfect Bookshelf



#Shelfie-Your Guide to the Perfect Bookshelf
Bookshelves are not just a backdrop in a room, but a major focal point. 
They even have their own special hashtag - #shelfie. 
You might think they are only for books, but the most interesting shelves showcase framed photos, objects and art, as well as great books. 
When faced with a wall of empty shelves, even a design pro can lose courage. Or, more daunting, is a collection of items that don’t work well together. The successful ones highlight the wall with a pleasing visual tension through shape, texture, and color, and not just stacked books.
Your choice of books, from the latest designer coffee table gems, to classic tomes, can create a visual facelift in seconds. Think colorful dust jackets on your books to give a pop of color. Though, a strong statement of black and white is another design staple that can be used for a dramatic effect. Place books vertically and horizontally to create interest. A horizontal stack can be used as a base for a special object. Books are a strong component in defining the overall structure of the display, if used correctly. Sometimes you need to update your books.  
Frames are another, often overlooked, quick fix for the shelves. 
Look for frames with clean lines and a uniform look. 
A mix of frames in wood or silver, or other materials, is distracting to the eye. 
Uniformity is your friend when grouping beloved photos for display.  
Interesting objects are another great resource when styling bookshelves. These can be treasures gleaned from a life of collecting, or items that currently speak to your personal aesthetic. Now is the time to have fun with displaying, and use items in unexpected ways.   Trays can be used vertically as a backdrop, creating a sort of frame for the objects in the foreground.  
Look at your books and considering updating titles with an eye towards color and visual interest. 
Stack books vertically and horizontally.
Edit your objects for the best impact. 
 
Use objects in unexpected ways. 
Trays as backdrops, vases as objects, boxes on top of stacked books - creating a treat for the mind and discerning eye.

below are photos of book shelves I love !!

needless to say, I love monochromatic.





1 comment:

  1. I have a big wall of bookshelves that I love! I just removed all the little knickknacks that I thought were cluttering it up, and turned most of the books backwards for a soft, even colored look. (I have them organized alphabetically by subject so I can find them easily even if I can't see the title!) I've thought of arranging them by color, but I really like the monochromatic look, like you. But you've inspired me to add a few art pieces. I love those spiky ball thing-ies in the first picture. xo Deborah (ps I did dream a little about joining you on your trip -- sounds amazing)

    ReplyDelete


Please know how much I value your comments. I read every single one and do hope you will take the time to leave your thoughts. I think InstaGram with the Emojis have taken a lot away from blogging, but I love IG too.